Sunday, May 31, 2015

Blog Post #2

Mr. Dancealot Video: 1. The central message of this video is how to not properly teach a dance class. The teacher did not properly go over how to teach his students how to do the foxtrot. When a student stood up to see how to do the foot steps, the professor yelled at him and told him to sit down. 2. The author makes is case at the end of the video when the two students are dancing and have no idea what they are doing. The realized that taking notes on how to dance is not the proper way of actually learning how to dance. You have to practice. 3. I do agree with his conclusion. It showed that the students were lost and that Professor Dancealot's method of teaching wasn't working well enough for them.

Teaching in the 21st Century Video: -Robert's believes that teachers need to stay up to date with resources, especially technology, in the classroom. He states that students are "virtually limitless", meaning that students can look up anything on the internet and find information about something. He believes that teachers are "no longer the main source of knowledge". Students need to be taught skills, rather than just receiving facts and dates to memorize. I do agree with Roberts on the fact that technology should be used in the classroom. We are in an age where everything can be done on a phone, computer, and now even a watch! Students should be taught how to use technology properly. As an educator, I hope that I will be able to teach my students how to use a smart board as well as a computer.

The Networked Student: The teacher that Wendy Drexler describes in the video is one that helps the student build a network and create opportunities for himself. The teacher is there along the way to help the student if they need it, show him the right way of doing things, and to make sure his research is accurate. The teacher hopes that the student will be able to "navigate his future" on his own. I thought the video was a unique way of showing a different way of teaching, but I don't think that teaching should be solely based on using technology. Yes, we should teach our students how to do things with the use of technology, but the teacher should actually teach the standard subjects like math, without having to use technology.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts: In this video, teacher Vicki Davis believes that teaching your students through the use of technology is the smart way. She teaches them how to properly use site and how to properly work together. She wants her students to be "very comfortable" with any sort of technology that they come across. Some students do have a hard time learning with just a pen and paper, so learning through the use of a computer game or a program on the computer, is a different way for certain students to obtain information. I do agree with Davis on the fact that students do need to learn how to do things on their own, rather than having someone do it for them. It ultimately will help them in the future. Learning how to blog and talking to other students around the world is a really cool way to open up students' minds and being given the opportunity to share with other people.

Who's Ahead in the Learning Race?: It is very obvious that elementary students are ahead of the learning race. I did not have any technological help when I was in school. I had to read a book out loud, rather than having an i-pad do it for me. Yes, we had computers in my elementary classrooms, but we only used them for certain activities. Kindergartners are listening to "audio recordings" to learn verbs and sounds. This is pretty much a whole new world to me. I personally think the way that I was taught in school was the best way. We did some things on the computer, but it was mostly just games that we played if we were finished early with our school work. I think it is crazy that 5 year olds have their own i-pads. I think it is a waste of money! 3rd grade students were given Macbooks at school? I didn't get a Macbook until I was a senior in high school! I guess we are in a completely different society than we were 10 years ago. I do think the use of technology is very prominent and beneficial, but I do not think that elementary students should be using it. They need to be taught the old fashioned way.

Flipping the Classroom: This concept is completely new to me. I actually like the idea of it. Students can go home, learn the information online, and then come to school the next day with any questions or comments that they have on the lesson. I don't know if I personally would do it as a teacher just because I would rather teach the information in a regular classroom setting. I am also extremely ADHD,so I don't think I would be able to sit in front of a computer watching my teacher teach me a lesson. I would much rather sit in the classroom. I think the idea of it is very unique and different, but I just don't know how effective it will be.

Bringing the Locker Room into the Classroom: I think that this is a very smart idea. Being on a sports team, is pretty much being in another class, just in a completely different setting. You have to work with others, listen to your coach, and try your hardest. I think working with coaches is a good way to learn different teaching strategies. You can learn a different approach of teaching your students something they are having a difficult time with. I would definitely consider using this is my classroom.

technological devices

5 comments:

  1. "...but the teacher should actually teach the standard subjects like math, without having to use technology." Will learning improve because you don't use technology? I think I could successfully argue just the opposite!

    "I personally think the way that I was taught in school was the best way." Is it still the best way?

    "I think it is a waste of money!" Really. The evidence so far is that students who use technology for educational purposes are far more effectively engaged in learning than those who don't!

    "I do not think that elementary students should be using it. They need to be taught the old fashioned way.

    " Why? Ask their teachers is they agree with you. In fact, you will be assigned several videos to watch done by Anthony Capps, the teacher of the third grade girls you saw in that video. He will vigorously disagree with you. So will the girls. So will their parents!

    "..,I would rather teach the information in a regular classroom setting." How will the hiring opportunities for "old fashioned, non-tech teachers be affected by the changes that are now taking place in our schools?

    Well written but you will have to change you attitudes if you are to be an effective teacher in this new technological world in which we live!


    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Networked Student, I agree with you that teachers should not just teach using technology. I think that they should know how to get information without using technology, you never know if you have to go it the old way. I think teaching using computer games are useful because it catches the students attention. I was shocked to find out that young children were operating i-pads and tablets, but as much as technology has increased, it has become a very useful too to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Students should be taught how to use technology properly." Yes, I completely agree and I do think that technology should be implemented in the classroom because the classroom is evolving constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a teacher in a small town, our parents are very eager and supportive of our elementary students learning and using technology in the classroom. Also, students learn differently than we did, they absorb technology quicker than any generation on this earth does. Why not cater to that learning style? All through coursework in college, the education courses are preaching to teach to different learning styles. I’m not arguing that yes, teach the old fashion way, but you need to keep them interested in what you are doing! Especially when the district and the parents are encouraging you and funding technology in class, and the students are unresponsive and unsuccessful with old methods. You need to encourage student success, and students feel successful with the aide of technology because it can provide instant feedback. Good luck in your pursuits in the education field!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! Please make sure to always have links in your posts so people can go look at the articles, videos, etc. that you are speaking about.

    ReplyDelete