Thursday, July 9, 2015

Blog Post #13

I am all about my students knowing what is going on in the world. I want them to know what is going on in not only their community, but in their country! With the use of technology, I plan on doing a current event activity in my classroom once or twice a week. For this blog, you are to go to the Newspaper Map and pick two different balloons on the map and go explore the different local newspapers that it pulls up for you. Then pick an article to read and write a summary on what you read.

miami heraldFor my first newspaper, I picked "The Miami Herald" from Miami, Florida. The article I read was about a TV series that is premiering on the Discovery channel this summer called "Cuban Chrome". It is about the classic cars that the people of Cuba drive on an everyday basis. This TV show looks very interesting because Cuba is extremely behind on technology and all of the advancements that we have in our everyday lives.

For the second newspaper, I picked The Manchester Evening News. The article I read was about a woman who is getting married in just a couple of days when she finds out that the store where she bought her
dress has closed without warning. This article was kind of sad. I feel so bad for the soon-to-be bride!
manchester evening news

Overall, I really think that this would be a great blog assignment. It gets you to see what goes on around the world, and it is kind of neat to see what other countries thinks is "big" news. I plan on doing this activity with my future students. I may even have them do a project where they gather a collection of articles from a newspaper in a different country and compare it to our country's newspapers.

2 comments:

  1. I think this activity would be a great idea to do with your students. You could also incorporate your students looking up what other children do in other parts of the world and compare to what American children do. I am sure they would be amazed at the differences they find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. As least a few people will still be reading newspapers. Just not on newsprint!

    ReplyDelete